Alexa is a smart device which many homeowners posses. It lets you play music among other cool actions just using your voice. But this leaves a lot of people wondering; ‘Does it work without WiFi?’.
Alexa does not work without WiFi. In order to process commands, Alexa needs a valid internet connection. This is because it requires access to a database of commands in order to compute your question. Alexa also needs WiFi to complete the actions you tell it to.
If you’ like to find out exactly why Alexa doesn’t work without WiFi, read on.
Like many other smart devices, Alexa uses the internet to process information in order to function.
Here’s Alexa processes a request in three basic steps.
- You give the command (Example: ‘Alexa, play Queen’)
- Alexa uses voice recognition software hosted by Amazon to understand your request
- Once this software understands the request, it tells the device what to do
- Alexa completes the action
Alexa cannot access content without WiFi
In order to play music, read documents and do all those other neat things Alexa is capable of, it needs to get the content from somewhere.
This is because the files aren’t downloaded to the device, Alexa just gathers them from elsewhere on the internet and plays them for you.
To make this a little clearer, it’s like trying to access your email without the internet – it’s simply impossible.
How to connect Alexa to WiFi
To connect your Amazon Alexa device to the internet, follow the simple steps provided below.
- Download the app
- Ensure you have a valid WiFi router
- Plug Alexa into a plug socket
- Follow the tutorial as prompted on the app